Arabic language instructor with 20+ years of experience in teaching, mentoring, and augmenting quality of instruction.
Approach: Emphasizes the teaching of Arabic language through communication, interest and associations with vocabulary in context which motivates students towards developing a desire to learn and work together.
Curriculum & Material Development:
- Certified Oral and written proficiency tester. Designed and developed tests for Arabic language learners.
- Developed and co-developed Arabic textbooks, creates special oral assignments to improve learning.
- Developed audio-visual materials to enhance Arabic language program.
- Directed Startalk Arabic teacher training program for several summers and student program.
- Co-chair Teacher council to help teachers collaborate, exchange and enhance their teaching strategies in classroom.
- I believe that learning is an ongoing process which requires constant support. I leverage my extensive experience and training in all levels from k-16 education to nurture productive learning environments where students are motivated to become long life learners.
- Effective problem solver
- Tactful and patient communicator
- Good team player
- Loyal to the company
- Success motivated
- Creative & hard working
Arabic Language consultant2015-presentContractor
- Startalk 2015 summer program site visitor and evaluator to teacher training programs and students program. Occidental College, Orange county-California and BYU University, Utah.
- Qatar Foundation International QFI “Summer Arabic institute” curriculum coach and advisor to teachers of Arabic. Washington DC August 2-8th-2015.
ARABIC LANGUAGE INSTRUCTOR2012 - 2015University of Southern California
- Revamped an outdated method of teaching seamlessly after recognizing that even the most advanced students were not proficient speakers; all passing students can now converse and write at the appropriate level of proficiency.
- Taught while ensuring student support and engagement by incorporating various audio-visual approaches
- Coordination: Coordinated Arabic language activities including celebration of Middle-Eastern holidays and cuisines; organized Arabic Culture Day; encouraged interactive communication to empower student learning.
- Organized and designed a full academic year’s film screening schedule, with discussion, for all Arabic students.
- Designed and developed placement tests for Arabic language learners; ensured compliance with national standards.
- Contributed as the presenter to a mini workshop at the USC-Center of Excellence of Teaching.
- Initiated and facilitated the Arabic Language and Culture Club as Key Advisor. Assisted students organize monthly activities.
- Linked students with native speakers, leveraging technology and physical meetings, to take language outside class, reinforce a positive learning environment, and immerse students in Arabic culture; helped create world-readiness learners.
- Integrated technology to create oral homework assignments.
- Created Regional Dialect course ( Levantine) integrated technology , authentic materials, connect students with Syrian, Jordanian and Lebanese native speakers, as supplement to text adapted and chosen to fall course 2014.
CO-CHAIR EXECUTIVE BOARD2011 - PresentSouthern California Arabic Teacher Council (Non-Profit)
- Founded this organization after recognizing an astounding lack of resources for Arabic teachers across Southern California; procured funding and grants from the Qatar Foundation International, Washington DC.
- Planned and organized conferences, workshops, and trainings while actively contributing to information exchange and Arabic language advocacy; helped teachers collaborate in developing resources and methods of teaching and evaluation.
- Planned annual Cultural Day and invited faculty and students to exchange language, cultural themes, games and activities.
- Grew the organization from a small group of 30 teachers and workshops to 175 teachers and annual conferences.
Masters in Human Development2008Pacific Oaks, California
Emphasis: Adult Education
Bachelor of Arts1980Kuwait University
Emphasis: Business and Marketing
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages - Oral Proficiency Interview Tester (Full Certification) 2014
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages - Written Proficiency Tester (Full Certification) 2014
- Middlebury College - College Arabic Teacher Training 2014
- Occidental College (The Word Language Program) - Special Topics In Standards-Based Instruction 2003
- Occidental College - Teaching Foreign Language 2002
- Occidental College - Standards-Based Assessment 2002
- Occidental College - Standards-Based Unit Design 2001
- Occidental College - Standards-Based Instructional Strategies 2000
- Education Certificate - Glendale Community College, 40 Units 1993